Which distributions are represented here?

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 15 13:05:43 EDT 2009

Le mercredi 15 juillet 2009 à 11:28 -0400, John Bailey a écrit :
> do we have
> representation from Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, SUSE/OpenSUSE, etc.?  The
> RedHat-centric nature of the 2.7.0 changes thread made me wonder.

Hi,

I'm looking at the Ubuntu packaging and updates. Debian and Ubuntu don't
have for policy to upload new majors versions in stable distro since
that would somewhat defeat the purpose of having a stable distribution
(ie users want softwares to behave in a known way and new major versions
tend to add behaviour changes and bugs while fixing others).
Redhat seems to have different policy on the topic though and that's
their choice, now it's up to upstream to decide whether the community
efforts are worth to only benefit one corporate version or a
distribution

Sebastien Bacher