Ubunutu Gutsy - Pidgin window won't show

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Nov 19 03:36:08 EST 2007

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 09:12:35 -0500, Kevin Stokes wrote
> Hi,
>     I had Pidgin installed and working fine on my system.   Now it won't
> come up any more.  Down on the task bar it says 'Starting Pidgin Internet
> Messenger', and then it just goes away and I have no pidgin window.
>  I tried a complete uninstall with Synaptic and a re-install, but
> still no luck.    In the System Monitor/processes view it is there sleeping.
>
>    How can I fix this?   Is there a log file to look at?
>
> -Thanks
> -Kevin

There are many possible reasons that could happen.  Pidgin might not be
installed correctly, it might not be in your path, it might not have all
dependencies, it might be crashing instantly, etc.  You should try running
"pidgin -d" from a terminal window.  That should give you a little info to
work from.  If the output from that isn't helpful to you feel free to paste it
here and we can try to give you some suggestions.

-Mark