Installing Pidgin on Solaris 10

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Tue Nov 20 12:08:46 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 11:23 -0500, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> Robert D. Hawkins spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > I am trying to compile Pidgin on a Sun Ultra 10 running Solaris 10 and the
> > Gnome Desktop environment.  I downloaded and extracted the files to:
> > /Downloads/Pidgin A subdirectory: pidgin-2.2.2 was created in which all the
> > source files were placed.  I successfully ran configure and had to switch to
> > csh to run the "make" do to PATH considerations.  When I run "make", it
> > chugs along until it I get the following error output (Sorry for the
> > length):
>
> I am guessing that your paths are sufficiently different between your
> login shell and the csh you used to run make that you have a different
> C compiler in your path; ld is passing -mt to the compiler, apparently
> assuming that the compiler will do something with it, while the
> compiler is claiming to know nothing about it.
>
> Try re-running configure under the same environment you plan to use to
> run make.

It's also possible that configure's checks for perl are pulling in
additional compile/link flags because perl was not built with the same
compiler you are using (which is often a problem on Solaris). You should
also try adding --disable-perl to ./configure's arguments if Ethan's
suggestion doesn't get you anywhere and you don't need perl plugin
support.

Regards,

Stu.