Missing Packages on RHEL 5

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Tue Oct 16 09:19:52 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 03:52 -0400, John Bailey wrote:
> Steven Backus wrote:
> > Anyone know where I can find these:
> >
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libsilcclient-1.0.so.1 is needed by package libpurple
> > Error: Missing Dependency: libsilc-1.0.so.2 is needed by package libpurple
> >
> > Thanks,
> >   Steve
>
> RedHat have removed these packages from their RHEL distribution.  As our
> packager uses CentOS, a community-oriented "clone" that aims to be 100%
> compatible with RHEL, to build, this went unnoticed for some time.  CentOS still
> packages the SILC libraries.  You could install these libraries from a CentOS
> repository mirror.

This is not true, actually. Red Hat include SILC in the workstation
edition of RHEL5, just not in the server "channels" on RHN. I think you
might be able to add the workstation channel to get the SILC libraries,
or alternatively you can browse and download the "libsilc" package at
rhn.redhat.com.

Regards,

Stu.