./configure options not OK

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Tue Apr 15 23:26:31 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 02:30:27AM +0200, linuxcbon wrote:
<snip>
> SSL isnt out of the box.
> # cd pidgin-2.4.1
> # ./configure
> "SSL Library/Libraries......... : None. MSN, Novell Groupwise and Google
> Talk will not work without GnuTLS or NSS. OpenSSL is NOT usable!"
>
> Then I read http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/FAQssl
> "You need GNUTLS or Mozilla NSS and NSPR; OpenSSL will not do."
> Why isn't GNTULS included by default in pidgin ? It's GPL2 too.
>
> So I installed gnutls-2.3.5 which needs libgcrypt which needs libgpg-error
> .
> Pidgin FAQ says : "You shouldn't need the --with-gnutls-{includes,libs}
> arguments to ./configure, as the libs get installed to good locations by
> default. "
> So I try for pidgin ./configure --enable-gnutls=yes
> I finally got : SSL Library/Libraries......... : GnuTLS
> # /usr/local/bin/pidgin &
> SSL and MSN finally connect.
>
> cheers, linuxcbon
>
> ps : I add CC support at pidgin.im for people to find a howto.

After installing the required dependencies you did not need the
--enable-gnutls flag, try again without it and you will see. Your problem
was that you didn't have the dependencies, there isn't anything pidgin can
do about that other than tell you about it and leave you to fix it. The
fact that you needed to manually track down dependencies sounds like a
failing of your distributions package manager to me.

    -Etan