./configure options not OK

linuxcbon linuxcbon at yahoo.fr
Wed Apr 16 00:35:03 EDT 2008

--- Etan Reisner <deryni at pidgin.im> a écrit :

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 02:30:27AM +0200, linuxcbon wrote:
> <snip>
> > SSL isnt out of the box.
> > # cd pidgin-2.4.1
> > # ./configure
> > "SSL Library/Libraries......... : None. MSN, Novell Groupwise and
> Google
> > Talk will not work without GnuTLS or NSS. OpenSSL is NOT usable!"
> >
> > Then I read http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/FAQssl
> > "You need GNUTLS or Mozilla NSS and NSPR; OpenSSL will not do."
> > Why isn't GNTULS included by default in pidgin ? It's GPL2 too.
> >
> > So I installed gnutls-2.3.5 which needs libgcrypt which needs
> libgpg-error
> > .
> > Pidgin FAQ says : "You shouldn't need the
> --with-gnutls-{includes,libs}
> > arguments to ./configure, as the libs get installed to good locations
> by
> > default. "
> > So I try for pidgin ./configure --enable-gnutls=yes
> > I finally got : SSL Library/Libraries......... : GnuTLS
> > # /usr/local/bin/pidgin &
> > SSL and MSN finally connect.
> >
> > cheers, linuxcbon
> >
> > ps : I add CC support at pidgin.im for people to find a howto.
>
> After installing the required dependencies you did not need the
> --enable-gnutls flag, try again without it and you will see. Your
> problem
> was that you didn't have the dependencies, there isn't anything pidgin
> can
> do about that other than tell you about it and leave you to fix it. The
> fact that you needed to manually track down dependencies sounds like a
> failing of your distributions package manager to me.
>
>     -Etan

Yes, with ./configure alone, it works too :).

It doesnt come from the distro, but I was not sure which libraries to
install to make SSL work.
(there is another way with mozilla, but it seems more complex :o)

Would it be easier to have TLS libraries in the pidgin code already ?

Thanks for your help,
linuxcbon