2 XMPP accounts (servers) with same account credentials

n0bert0 n0bert0 at aim.com
Thu Aug 14 17:04:09 EDT 2008

Daniel Atallah wrote:
> 2008/8/14 n0bert0 <n0bert0 at aim.com>:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> hope this is the right place to ask this:
>>
>> Situation:
>>
>> there are 2 XMPP servers I need to connect to (names are just an example,
>> are not real!)
>>
>> 1. beehive.company.com
>>
>> username: n0bert0
>> domain: aim.com
>> resource: beehive
>>
>> 2. im.company.com
>>
>> username: n0bert0
>> domain: aim.com
>> resource: IM
>>
>> Setting up my account this way on XP works well.
>>
>> Usually I work on debian. Sadly this setup fails on debian, saying:
>>
>> Unable to save new account
>> An account already exists with the specified criteria
>>
>> I need both accounts in parallel running. On debian, not XP.
>>
>> Does anybody have an idea how to get this fixed on debian?
>>

> The behavior shouldn't be any different on XP than on linux (or any
> other platform) for this.
>
> We use username+domain as the account's "primary key", so it isn't
> going to be possible to do what you're trying to do.
>
> This ties in a little bit with the email that Evan sent to the
> development mailing list a few days ago
> (http://pidgin.im/pipermail/devel/2008-August/006542.html)
>
> Unless I'm confused, what you're trying to do is somewhat odd/wrong -
> why do you have the same username at domain for both accounts?
> Are the servers not federated?
>
> Is this really just an issue of wanting to have the same account
> signed it twice with a different resource?
>
> -D
> Which one

Hi Daniel,

thanks for your kind reply.

What I forgot to mention: pidgin version on XP is 2.3.1, that on debian
is 2.4.3 - and:
it does really work on XP...

(I am able to fake it on debian by using a different name on creation
and modify it later before use- it works - but this ends when I close
pidgin: one of the 2 accounts is dropped then)

The accounts are handled by an SSO (single sign on) server and need to
be same therefor.

connect server #2 will be shut im 3 months. #1 will replace it then
totally. I need to connect to both connect servers in parallel until
this will happen.

Curiously the lines in the accounts.xml on XP read:

                    <name>n0bert0 at aim.com/IM</name>
    and
                    <name>n0bert0 at aim.com/beehive</name>

which looks rather unique to me, even unique enough to XP (and older
version 2.3.1).

Debian's version seems to ignore the "resource" part. What is is good
for then if it is ignored?

BTW: I do not see the need to be unique with the account name in pidgin
without counting the server I connect to?!? It forces me to change my
identity - what for?

Regards,
Bert