offline messages

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Sat Dec 13 13:10:47 EST 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 1:31 AM, Daniel Dalton <d.dalton at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I view my offline messages with pidgin? And how do I send
> offline messages? Also, what version should I be running, and where can
> I obtain it from?

You should receive offline messages when you sign on.  They'll pop up
in an IM window the same way a normal IM does, except that the
timestamp will be in the past.

You can send an offline message by sending a normal IM to someone who
is offline on any protocol that supports offline messages (AIM, ICQ,
Yahoo, XMPP, maybe others).

Which version and where to obtain it depends on the operating system
you're using.  If you're using Windows then it's best to use the most
recent version (2.5.2), which can be download from our website at
http://pidgin.im/download/  If you're using Linux then it's generally
easiest to use your distribution's package manager to install Pidgin.
For example, "apt-get install pidgin" or "yum install pidgin."  And
you should be fine using whichever version they provide.  Or if you
think you need a newer version you can download the source from the
link above and compile it yourself.

-Mark