Pidgin crashes at exit

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Sat Feb 9 04:58:02 EST 2008

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 04:42:12 -0500
"Mark Doliner" <mark at kingant.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 19:14:14 -0800, Matthew Milne wrote
> > I just updated Pidgin to 2.3.1, and Ive noticed that every time i close
> > Pidgin, I get that Microsoft error "Pidgin has encountered an error and
> > needs to close." I have not really had issues with it before i
> > updated to
> > 2.3.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Well that's obviously not supposed to happen.  I wonder, do you have any 3rd
> party plugins installed?  You might want to try following the instructions at
> http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/TipsForBugReports for getting a backtrace and
> submitting a bug report.

FWIW I have had this crash on my Windows XP box at work with every
version of Pidgin since 2.0.x, sadly as soon as I have installed the
debug version the crash doesn't happen. I've tried several times back
in the 2.0.2 era and recently I think at 2.3.0, could not provoke a
crash and get a backtrace. Another factor is that I very rarely restart
my work machine, normally Pidgin runs all the time and is simply
switched between offline and available.

One thought, I had a crash at startup that turned out to be the Album
plugin, this was at 2.0.2 I think. Disabling this plugin fixed it, but
maybe that's when the shutdown crash started. Could there be a setting
or registry entry that's corrupted?

I have Guifications, the OTR plugin and the Plugin-Pack installed, all
at the most recent versions available.

I couldn't see much point in reporting a bug I couldn't diagnose
properly, but at least you know that the OP's report is not a one-off.

--

Brian Morrison

   "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
    after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."