Lost settings ???

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Fri Feb 29 12:59:46 EST 2008

Etan Reisner spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 10:16:18AM +0100, David Balazic wrote:
> > I just noticed this in my pidgin 2.3.1 that I use for months:
> >  - smooth scrooling os turen on, even if I am 99% sure I turned it off
> >  - my picture disappeared, it is the default unset/empty
> >  - buddy list windw position got reset to top left corner. I always had it
> > in the right side of the screen a few pixels below the top.
> >  - the timestamp format plugin is turned off, even if I enabled it a few days
> > ago (when we had the conversation about time formatting)
>
> This sounds like your prefs.xml file got corrupted, why I have no idea,
> you can check to see if you have a prefs.xml.save file in your .purple
> directory and see if it contains the settings you think it should. But if
> you can recreate your preferences the way you want you may not need to do
> anything. If you recently added any plugins, or changed any sound file
> locations, or changed the location for your buddy icon those might be the
> problem.

Note that we are aware of at least one case where Vista did something
unreasonable with files we had written, which led to a similar
behavior (accounts.xml, in that case).  In that instance, the computer
had been shut down un-gracefully (I don't know if it locked up, or the
power cord was kicked out, or what).

It's hard to program defensively against egregious bugs in the
*operating system*.  :-P

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.