Where does Pidgin put its files?

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Mon Jan 7 08:20:42 EST 2008

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 12:18:04PM +0100, Niklas Bolmdahl wrote:
> I've tried to search the web, the FAQ and this list to find out where
> Pidgin puts its files, but it seems I can't find the information I
> want.
> I installed Pidgin on Ubuntu 7.04 from source about 4 months ago and I
> made a tiny mistake. I didn't check the install into apt with
> checkinstall, nor did I keep the finished tree. Now I want to upgrade
> Pidgin (and make some alterations to the install).
> According to what I've been able to find out from google, my only
> option is to find all the Pidgin (and Finch) files and remove them
> manually prior to installing the new version (that and to be a tad
> smarter next time around). If there's a better way, then I'm all ears.
> The problem with removing all the files is that I don't know where
> they all are. So... where does Pidgin put all its files?
>
> so far I've found:
>
> /usr/local/share/applications/pidgin.desktop
> /usr/local/share/aclocal/purple.m4
> /usr/local/etc/gconf/schemas/purple.schemas
> /usr/local/include/libpurple/
> /usr/local/include/pidgin/
> /usr/local/include/finch/
> /usr/local/bin/finch
> /usr/local/bin/pidgin
>

> have I missed anything?
> --
> Niklas

Having compiled from source, your best option is to get the tarball from
the version you installed, and untar it.  configure it the same way you
configured the one you built, then run
make uninstall

that will remove everything.

Alternately, if you kept the source you compiled from, you can skip to
that last step, make uninstall.

luke