'Left Conversation' Message

Shreevatsa R shreevatsa at cmi.ac.in
Thu Jan 10 18:32:43 EST 2008

* Quoting Sean Egan who at 2008-01-10 14:45:46-0800 (Thu) wrote
> On Jan 10, 2008 2:41 PM, stern_matt <stern_matt at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > When closing message boxes, individuals on the other end receive a "_____ has
> > left the conversation" message.  As a recent convert to Pidgin, I really,
> > really like it but have already offended a number of friends after they've
> > received the left conversation notification.  Is there any way to turn this
> > feature off?  Otherwise, I might be forced to abandon my new favorite IM
> > client.
>
> A. Get friends secure enough to deal with you closing a window.
> B. Tools > Preferences > Conversations > Notify buddies that you are
> typing to them.

C. Tools -> Preferences -> Conversations -> "Close IMs immediately
when the tab is closed." This will send the message only if you've
kept your window closed for a certain amount of time (I think 15 min)
(and if they still have their window open, of course). See also
http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/1384

As for (A), I suspect there *is* something disturbing about the
message... "normal" users are affected by the actual text of the
message, and from informal surveys, I've surmised that "_____ has
closed the window" effects a less emotional reaction :)

--
Shreevatsa R