Lost workspace function with Ubuntu Hardy

Casey Harkins caseyharkins at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 02:21:04 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 20:21 -0700, tunnel wrote:
> <<Indeed, that might be it. Reading the diff, I'm not sure if there's much
> we can do about it. -- Richard>>
>
> Ugh. Why not? Wouldn't that be an event on the Buddy list itself? Or are you
> suggesting that something in gnome is stepping on the original event?

I believe pidgin is correctly signaling to the window manager that we
want the user to see the window [1]. X window managers by design (and
for good reason) are allowed to handle windows as they please [2]. In
this case, it appears metacity (the default Gnome window manager)
changed behavior to blink the window entry in the taskbar in this
scenario rather than move the window to the current desktop. Whether
they intended to do this or not is unclear. While their might be ways to
trick metacity into doing what we want, it would almost certainly break
things for users of other window managers which is unacceptable.

-casey

[1]http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/GtkWindow.html#gtk-window-present
[2]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_window_manager

(Apologies if this makes it to the list twice.)