IPV6 problems

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Sun Jun 8 17:13:48 EDT 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:27:10PM -0700, Bill Pier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having trouble with an IPV6 based server and wanting to figure
> out if it's the server, my system or Pidgin that is having problems.
> The host is jabber6.unoc.net, and I mostly get "ping timeout" errors
> from Pidgin, though I can ping6 just fine and continuously to the
> host without error.  Occasionally I get a "read" error  from Pidgin.
>
> Is anyone else connecting with a server via IPV6?
> Does anyone know of another IPV6 jabber server?
>
> thanks,
> Bill Pier

If you open the debug window and watch the xml traffic to/from that server
(it helps to disable all other XMPP accounts when testing this) do you see
pidgin send an XMPP ping and fail to get a response (tracked by the id
attribute) when pidgin disconnects you from that account?

If that is what you are seeing, that the server is failing to respond to
the XMPP pings that pidgin is sending, then this isn't something that
pidgin is doing wrong as much as it is the server failing to act
appropriately. I would even go so far as to guess that if you are seeing
this that the jabber6.unoc.net jabber server is running Openfire as the
server software, since we have been seeing this sort of problem with
various installations of Openfire on and off ever since pidgin added the
XMPP ping functionality a couple of versions ago.

	-Etan