IPV6 problems

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Sun Jun 8 18:02:36 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 03:11:18PM -0700, Bill Pier wrote:
> Yes, as it happens, jabber6.unoc.net is running Openfire; is there
> a fix or configuration change for the server to process the xmpp-ping
> correctly?
>
> thanks,
> Bill Pier

Sorry, I wasn't clear here. The problem is not that openfire doesn't
correctly support XMPP ping, the problem is that openfire is dropping iq
stanza responses on the floor.

That is, according to XMPP RFC an entity is required to respond to an iq
set or get and pidgin is coded to accept either a successful XMPP ping
response or a generic iq error response as a valid ping response.

The problem here then is that openfire is failing to respond to the pidgin
ping request in any way (as you can see in your debug window output as you
will have an outgoing XMPP ping with an id that you never see coming back
in from the server).

Notably, openfire doesn't drop every iq response (or pidgin would never
stay connected for more than a minute or two at a time) it just drops some
of them. There are a number of filed pidgin tickets on this, I don't know
if anyone has filed a ticket with openfire or not. I do know that a
similar stanza response dropping problem was reported to them in their
forums a while back (over chat rooms not pings) and has (as of last week)
received no responses.

	-Etan