[Question #34237]: can't add buddy

Abhejit Rajagopal question34237 at answers.launchpad.net
Thu Jun 26 10:56:30 EDT 2008

Question #34237 on pidgin in ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pidgin/+question/34237

Abhejit Rajagopal proposed the following answer:
Hello John,

I don't think it's a problem with Pidgin or Meebo. I think perhaps you
have some ports blocked/disabled in Ubuntu itself. Meebo works in a
browser, but still uses the same AIM protocol to access the AIM server
just as Pidgin does. So I think you may want to try and find out which
ports are available/blocked in your Ubuntu partition/installation and
which ones are not.

I remember seeing a thread about this guy, yinglcs2, on the Ubuntu
forums. He was trying to write a script so you can check which ports are
available locally. So you might want to try and PM him. I've got to run
now, but I'll look into a solution when I get back tonight/tomorrow.

Pidgin Support, which is an answer contact for pidgin in ubuntu.