RESCUE PIDGIN from FLASH-PLUGIN

bspnt at bath.ac.uk bspnt at bath.ac.uk
Sun Jun 29 18:56:09 EDT 2008

Dear Pidgin community,

Here I sought help for a problem I am facing with
firefox-flashplugin-pidgin. I hope many other users might have come
across this problem. I have given below in steps what happens.

1. I use FC8 kernel version 2.6.24.4-64.fc8. I also use skype for
voice and video chatting. The latest kernel for FC8 doesn't detect my
camera and hence I use the above kernel.
2. Pidgin starts on login and no problem in chatting or playing sounds.
3. I start firefox (my favourite browser) and start checking emails,
browsing, etc. PIDGIN WORKS FINE STILL WITH AUDIO AND TYPING.
4. I go to a webpage to watch some online videos which require flashplugin.
5. The browser plays the video with audio fine with installed
flashplugin. NO PROBLEM.
6. BUT HERE IS WHERE PIDGIN STRUGGLES AND COULD NOT BE RESCUED.
7. Since, I have set sound to be 'automatic' in my preferences and no
other options work fine for me, when I receive a message or while on
chatting, say in less than two minutes PIDGIN STOPS RESPONDING. No
input keys or message received. Pidgin freezes. I have to delibrately
kill firefox and the streaming video, then restart pidgin and all
works fine.
8. The flashplugin locks the sound only to firefox and doesn't allow
pidgin to play any sound when anytype of video is streaming online.

I couldn't find a fix to this solution. It would be nice if pidgin has
some lines of code in itself that when it cannot access the sound
module via gstreamer, then it can mute itself for that session and try
to start again in next session. So by doing this, pidgin will not
crash and break the conversations.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Nethaji