Pidgin 2.4.0 and offline messages

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Sat Mar 1 09:55:57 EST 2008

N.Novozhilov spake unto us the following wisdom:
> Pidgin 2.4.0 don't support offline messages with national codeset, in
> spite of your advertising. I test this just after installing new
> version. Offline messages on Russian seems like this:

I'm not sure what "advertising" you're citing, but we'll see what we
can do about this.  There have been quite a few fixes to ICQ offline
messaging lately, but it still requires that you configure your Pidgin
properly, and that the other user is using certain versions (I'm not
sure which) of the _official client_.  If the remote user is using
Trillian, Miranda, etc., offline messaging is likely to not work, as
these clients do _not_ always behave the same as the official client.

> respondent: ???????? ????? (There was an error receiving this message.
> Either you and 112565452 have different encodings selected, or
> 112565452 has a buggy client.)
>
> Respondent and me use UTF-8 version of messengers.
> On-line conversation are OK.

What are "UTF-8 version of messengers"?  What is your encoding set to
in the account editor for this account?  What is your buddy's encoding
set to, and/or what "nationality" of messenger are they using?

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.