Two typing notifications don't make sense. What do you think?

Festival.Star festival.star at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 3 13:13:46 EST 2008

Etan Reisner schrieb:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 02:32:29PM +0100, Festival.Star wrote:
>
>> I installed version 2.4 today and got to see the horrible "noisy" typing
>> notification inside the message box window. What is the reason for a
>> second typing notification? It doesn't make sense at all. I've done a
>> screenshot to tell you what I mean with 2 notifications:
>>
>> http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=pictmz.png
>>
>> So we come from a sleek, silent notification to a noisy system. Can't be
>> the sense of an improvement?
>>
>> I'd like to hear your thoughts about that topic as well!
>>
>> Regards!
>>

> There are a number of reasons the new typing notification was added.
>
> First, it places the notification in exactly the place you are already
> looking either for your message to show up or your buddies message to show
> up so it is much more immediately obvious in an active conversation.
>
> Second, for users of top tabs the tabbar is not always visible and the
> infopane does not display the colorized typing notification.
>
> Third, the tab typing indication is unhelpful for colorblind people and
> for those with bad eyesight in general.
>
> Fourth, a fair number of people asked for it.
>
>     -Etan
>
> Further your comment about "why two typing notifications" is invalid since
> pidgin has had two for ages (and in a later post you even comment about
> liking the old second method).
>
> Lastly, what about the current system do you feel is 'noisy'? Is there
> something about it which could be changed which would mitigate your
> dislike for it (other than removing it)?
>
>     -Etan

Yeah there would be something that wouldn't be that noisy. You could
take the old typing notification graphic and put it into the toolbar of
the message window. (next to the smileys) That would make the whole
thing look more integrated. It is right that the new notification gets
into your view everytime you look at the window. But it makes me always
think a message pops up when the notification starts.
So it would be really cool to reconsider the position of the
notification. Don't get me wrong about that criticism I really like
Pidgin and the appreciate the work you do.

Regards!