Please change the 2.4.0 input field's resize behaviour

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Mon Mar 3 14:11:46 EST 2008

Mark Scott wrote:
> Hi Etan,
>
> thanks for the reply.
>
> Etan Reisner wrote:
>> Are
>> these IMs something other than normal text (i.e. code snippets)? Are these
>> longer IMs routinely five lines, six lines, some larger number, unbounded?
>
> Messages I exchange with colleagues run from one character to, I expect,
> a dozen lines.  Code snippets, exception stacktraces, lists of
> instructions, XML, problem descriptions etc..
>
> They're ultimately bounded by the MSN protocol's limit on message size.
>   I don't know what that limit might be but do hit it occasionally.
>
> Looking at my current Pidgin 2.3.1 window I can see I have 12 lines
> visible in the input field and 40 lines of conversation visible (with,
> as it happens, 132 chars per line).

Is this a maximized window?  I would wager that most Pidgin users don't
keep their IM windows this large most of the time.  A lot of the changes
in this vein were motivated by the idea of making the conversation work
better at smaller sizes and may have failed to consider users that have
extremely large windows.  That said, we would likely not do terribly
much to accommodate someone who thought everything seemed too far apart
in a maximized buddy list window, so what we feel about very large
windows may be similar.

Since I keep my windows "small and comfortable" I can't really say I
have anything to say on our policy about large windows.

Kevin