Please change the 2.4.0 input field's resize behaviour

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Mon Mar 3 15:46:18 EST 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 07:27:21PM +0000, Mark Scott wrote:
> Kevin Stange wrote:
>
> >Mark Scott wrote:
>
> >>Looking at my current Pidgin 2.3.1 window I can see I have 12 lines
> >>visible in the input field and 40 lines of conversation visible (with,
> >>as it happens, 132 chars per line).
> >
> >Is this a maximized window?
>
> No, not at all.  I seldom maximize windows.  I mostly use a laptop with
> a 1920x1200 screen and my IDE is the only thing that's routinely
> maximized.  The screen's aspect ratio simply makes most other maximized
> windows look 'strange'.
>
> My current Pidgin window turns out to be 887x957 pixels, including
> window manager decorations.  That's probably an average size.

My window here at work is ~822x521, in part because I have side tabs, if
Windows wasn't such an anemic window manager they would be top tabs and my
window would be that much narrower. I happen to think I'm on the larger
size of IM windows here at work, though I'd have to poll people to find
out. (Is there a simple Windows tool to find out the current size of a
window? I used print screen and Gimp to get my numbers.)

> > I would wager that most Pidgin users don't
> >keep their IM windows this large most of the time.  A lot of the changes
> >in this vein were motivated by the idea of making the conversation work
> >better at smaller sizes and may have failed to consider users that have
> >extremely large windows.
>
> Genuine interest: you consider ~800x100 to be extremely large?  It feels
> just right to me :-S

Given the quick informal internet survey of screenshots found via google
(ignoring ones directly on pidgin.im) I get an average size of 466x354,
which is significantly smaller than your 887x957 and decidedly smaller
than my 822x521. So assuming my unscientific survey is representative I
don't think we are wrong in our belief that your window is extremely
large.

> Regards.
>
> --
> Mark Scott