Pidgin 2.4.0 and offline messages

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Tue Mar 4 12:28:55 EST 2008

N.Novozhilov spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 09:55:57 -0500 Ethan Blanton wrote:
> > I'm not sure what "advertising" you're citing, but we'll see what we
> > can do about this.  There have been quite a few fixes to ICQ offline
> > messaging lately, but it still requires that you configure your Pidgin
> > properly, and that the other user is using certain versions (I'm not
> > sure which) of the _official client_.  If the remote user is using
> > Trillian, Miranda, etc., offline messaging is likely to not work, as
> > these clients do _not_ always behave the same as the official client.
>
> 1. Pingin is configured by the only one existing setting - Encoding:
>     UTF-8

OK.  This may or may not be correct; you may want CP1252 (or similar)
here, I don't know.  That will depend on the configuration of your
buddies' messengers.

> 2. I can't bid to all my respondent what messenger they have to use,
> especially to my bosses. And most my respondents use Miranda Unicode,
> qip with UTF-8 encoding and Gaim/Libgaim (Mac)/Pidgin/Licq.
> Are you living in an ideal world?

No, but we *cannot* cause Pidgin to produce and consume _broken
behavior_ simply because some people use broken software.  This is
unreasonable.  If the problem is that your buddies are using broken
software which does not interoperate in a reasonable manner, then
there's simply nothing we can (or will) do about it.

We will absolutely do our best to fix compatability with the official
clients, and we *do* have compatability problems with even the
official clients at this point.  We're working on it, but it's
difficult and the going is slow (none of the core Pidgin developers
regularly use languages for which ICQ is fundamentally broken, of
which, unfortunately, Russian is one).

> 3. I have conversations with english-speaking people (without problems,
> sure) and russian-speaking (with problems) - only. Can I patch or
> change by some other way Pidgin behavior of interpretation of incoming
> messages? To let he know that If received message isn't ASCII-7 so it's
> russian by default.

I'm sure there is a way to patch or change it, but if we know what it
was, we would have fixed it by now.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.