Behavior makes me cry

Marek Matulka marek.matulka at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 16:04:47 EST 2008

Hi,

On 05/03/2008, Evan Platt <evan at espphotography.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry you see my reply as 'rude' but you'll note my reply was not
>  a reply to your message, but to someone elses - the person who said
>  they cannot use Pidgin because of this change.

I know that, as this new feature is annoying for me, I got offended too :)

>  I agree with not liking something being changed without your 'will',
>  but you might as well get used to it in the software world. Not every
>  change is always documented. If you don't like the change, go back to
>  the previous version. Or, as I mentioned it, you can fix it yourself.
>
>  With Open Source, it's likely your opinion will be heard, and the
>  'problem' 'fixed' on the next update.

I understand, that sometimes we get used to and it's hard to change
our habits, but in this particular case it was surprisingly unexpected
change. Some people may find it useful, but I find the new approach
annoying. In that case I could expect to see it optional and not being
forced to change my behaviour. As you mention below, pidgin developers
did exactly the same what microsoft does through their software
update.

And it is open source, that's why we are discussing there and we can
share our opinions. I am not even asking to drop the new input field
behaviour - I am just kindly asking for an option. have you ever used
gnome desktop? by default it uses "spatial mode" to navigate through
windows - some people find it really useful, others find it annoying -
but I have an option - I can switch between spatial and browse mode.

>  Good luck with that if you download a Windows Update and it does
>  something you don't like. You can TRY and get your input heard, but
>  what are the chances of that?

Sorry, I don't use windows so I don't really know how this windows update works.

All the best,
Marek

--
http://matulka.net/