Behavior makes me cry

Evan Platt evan at espphotography.com
Wed Mar 5 16:22:11 EST 2008

At 01:04 PM 3/5/2008, Marek Matulka wrote:

>I understand, that sometimes we get used to and it's hard to change
>our habits, but in this particular case it was surprisingly unexpected
>change. Some people may find it useful, but I find the new approach
>annoying. In that case I could expect to see it optional and not being
>forced to change my behaviour. As you mention below, pidgin developers
>did exactly the same what microsoft does through their software
>update.

Not just Microsoft. Everyone.

I don't know of ANY software where a end user is e-mailed from the
developer(s) "Hey, I'm thinking of changing a feature in this next
upgrade, but I want to put it to a vote first." I can't even count
the number of times this has happened where a change I didn't like
has been made. My choice is either go back to a previous version, or
live with the change.

>And it is open source, that's why we are discussing there and we can
>share our opinions.

I agree 100%, but the people who are threatening to ditch Pidgin I
find amusing. To use an analogy:

You have someone who's mowing your lawn for free. He changed the way
he mows it. Rather than a polite "please change the way you mow my
lawn", you're saying "either mow my lawn the way you used to, or get
out of here."

You get more flies with honey, or something like that. These people
threatening to ditch Pidgin if this change isn't fixed is just
amusing. You aren't costing the developers any money, but like I
said, you're entiteled to a 100% refund should you decide to uninstall Pidgin.

>I am not even asking to drop the new input field
>behaviour - I am just kindly asking for an option. have you ever used
>gnome desktop?

Once or twice... Been a while.

>Sorry, I don't use windows so I don't really know how this windows
>update works.

Ok, so you use some software where you update it when an update is
available right? What's going to happen when they make a change you
don't like when it's not a GPL software? :)