Behavior makes me cry

Niklas Bolmdahl niklas.bolmdahl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 05:54:16 EST 2008

Jens Franik skrev:
> Guten Tag Niklas Bolmdahl,
>
> am Samstag, 8. März 2008 um 11:02 schrieben Sie:
>

>> I think you've gotten it backwards there. Open source isn't about
>> letting the users decide about how the original developers should code,
>> but instead it's about giving the users the possibility to code it
>> differently themselves.
>>

> Agree, but it also supports a direct User-2-Developer Contact, which
> can be used to talk about what the software could be like.
> If the User is not able to code, he can only wait for better weather

But there is discussion here, and the devs are listening and taking
peoples views into account. They have stated that perhaps this new
functionality wasn't the best (side note, I didn't like it, but I'm
content waiting for the next implementation of it before I say anything
more about it). They have also said that they're interested in  making
it work for a larger number of users. My point was that they do so in
whatever fashion they think is the most beneficial, and that's a Good Thing.

Something that you have to get used to if you constantly update your
software is that things change, and not always in a fashion that you
yourself approve of. You also have to learn that it's seldom the first
iteration of a feature that makes it into the software permanently.
Something gets added, changed, altered again and finally (hopefully) it
settles into the software as a natural part of the feature-set. Of
course this cycle depends on user-developer contact, but there's a
difference (that I find myself having a hard time explaining) between
constructive discussion and nagging.

hmm, I'd like to say more, but I'm out of time... hopefully I got some
of what I wanted to say across.