Please change the 2.4.0 input field's resize behaviour

matejcik neasi matejcik at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 06:56:07 EDT 2008

(sorry for breaking the thread, but it is too much hassle to reply properly
when i'm not even subscribed in the first place)

Hello everyone,
i was following the discussion about input field resizing, and i am one of
those who want resizability back.
But for quite the opposite reason than most - and i don't think anyone
raised this point before - i would like to make the input field _smaller_.
Yup, that's right, only one line for me, thankyouverymuch.

I use pidgin for instant messaging - that is, quick exchange of quick
messages. Most of my messages are less than one line, because i tend to keep
the conversation window short but wide. It sits on top of my screen, say ten
lines of history and one line of input, 1024x380. Automatic resizing is
fine, it is actually very helpful, but two lines by default is waste of
space.

So, from me, +1 to configurable minimum and maximum size, as long as it is
possible to set minimum of one line!

A short trip to pidgin history reveals that the default was always two
lines. Back in gaim 0.60-or-something, it was actually possible to configure
input height. But alas, fixed minimal height was some 18 pixels - way too
much. In some quite recent version of gaim/pidgin, you could resize the
input as you liked, provided that you liked it bigger. Most recent versions
didn't have this minimal size restriction, and for a time it was good.
But now i'm stuck with one extra useless line again.

Next time you work with minimum size constraints, please bear in mind that
at least one of your devoted users likes his stuff small ;)

regards
m.