Application error after moving to Symantec 11

Eric Caron Eric.Caron at jobdig.com
Wed Mar 12 14:50:47 EDT 2008

We have around 20 installs running Pidgin, but on 2 machines (with
different users) I recently, consistently get the attached error:

"The Application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b).
Click on OK to terminate the application."

It's very similar to the situation in this previous thread -
http://pidgin.im/pipermail/support/2008-February/000631.html - but my
error is 0xc000007b instead of 0x000007b. I've done a full uninstall and
a re-install, both regular and debug builds of 2.4.0, and no-change.
Running pidgin as another admin user works (right-click "Run As"),
despite these 2 users having admin privileges. No .rpt is dumped, and
"-d > debug.log" just creates an empty file. Disabling Symantec doesn't
resolve the issue, but it looks like a culprit since these worked fine
before we went from 8 to 11.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've blown away the
.purple and plugins directories to rule those out as the culprits.

Thanks,

Eric