Password encryption

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Fri Mar 14 13:17:56 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:54:04PM -0400, Venkatasamy,Venkat wrote:

> We came to know that Pidgin does not encrypt the users' password when
> they choose "Remember Password" options in the accounts windows.
>
> Is there any workaround for this as this will be security issue in any
> organization as local administrators having access to the .purple
> folder.
>
> Thanks
> Venkat
<snip>

http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/PlainTextPasswords

As the response to the "Is that the final word?" question states, if
someone were to present us with a clean, well designed, extensible
(handles more than just one version) patch for allowing pidgin to use
keyrings we would accept it.

I am unaware of any real work having been done on creating a patch like
this, though it is entirely possible I am forgetting some people who have
tried. If you want to work on that yourself feel free and we will gladly
accept it.

    -Etan