Own typing indication

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Mon Mar 24 23:02:49 EDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:40:07AM +0100, David Balazic wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This just happened to me in a MSN conversation:
>  - I type a message (looking at my keyboard)
>  - I press ENTER
>  - I look at the screen
>
> And my message was not anywhere. I thought it's the focus problem
> again, so I retyped the message and sent it again.
>
> Then after a few moments, both messages appeared in the conversation.
>
> The problem: after pressing ENTER to send message, it disappears
> >From the typing area, but does not appears in the conversation area.
> For a few moments (that can be several seconds, I gues it depends
> On netwrok conditions) the message is lost, at least it appears like
> That for the user.
>
> Please do something about this. Either the message should appear
> Instantly or some special hint should be displayed, that the message
> Is "pending" or similar.
>
> Thanks.
>
> David
>
> PS: I use 2.4.0 on Windows XP.

On protocols that send the message back to you (which I'm assuming MSN
does) displaying the message before we hear back from the server isn't
really the right thing to do, imagine the case where the message triggers
an error, or is silently dropped by the server (which MSN likes to do for
some messages) you are then presented with a scenario where you have told
the user it was sent correctly but now need to rescind that indication and
present them with an error, as opposed to being able to simply not display
the sent message and instead display the error.

That being said, I am open to suggestions that will satisfy both parts of
this.

    -Etan