2 questions

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Thu May 15 14:14:21 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:22:08AM -0700, kathryn powell wrote:
> Can Pidgin be set so that it automatically starts when
> I start my computer?  As it is now, I have to
> reinstall each time.

It is certainly not the case that you need to reinstall pidgin every time
your computer starts up to run pidgin. At the very least you should have
pidgin in your system menu (if not also on the desktop). Under Windows the
installer gives you a choice as to which of those shortcuts you wish to
create, with linux distribution packages they should create menu entries
automatically, and if you build from source then you just need to run it
manually.

How to get it to start when you boot up/log in depends on what Operating
System/Environment you are using. On Windows, the Windows Pidgin Options
plugin has a preference for this, or you could put a shortcut to pidgin in
the Start menu's Startup folder. On linux, you would need to look at how
your desktop environment allows you to specify what applications to run at
startup.

> Can I use my Yahoo avatar?

You can set a buddy icon for your Yahoo account in pidgin, if you want to
set it for all your accounts you can use the buddy icon selector at the
bottom of the buddy list. If you just want it for the yahoo account then
you can set it through the Modify Account dialog for that account.

> Thank you,
>
> Kathryn

	-Etan