Connection problems to Yahoo, AIM and MSN

T L toberiferous at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 16:03:29 EST 2008

Hello.

Over the past 2 months I've been unable to connect to my chat accounts on
Yahoo, AIM and MSN.  All three have different errors and symptoms. My
GoogleChat accounts function fine in Pidgin (v2.5.2) on Windows XP.

Here is a brief review of what I am seeing:

Upon starting Pidgin, GoogleChat logs in no problem, but all three other
accounts instantly fail to connect.  The errors specified in the bottom
notification area are:

<yahoo account>: user disconnected
Lost connection with server:
Remote host closed connection

<aol account>: user disconnected
Lost connection with server:
Remote host closed connection

<msn account>: user disconnected
Connection error from Notification server:
Writing error

Pidgin will continue throughout the day to attempt to reconnect to these
accounts, and on occasion it succeeds in connecting to my yahoo chat
account.  However, as soon as I enter a message and send it, it disconnected
with the same error as specified above and the message never gets sent.

There have been no changes in my firewall, and I am pulling my hair out
trying to figure out what the issue is.

Can anyone help?  I would be happy to provide any additional information if
it will help.

Thank you.

- Tobias