Connection problems to Yahoo, AIM and MSN

Lee Roach phroggster at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 06:43:39 EST 2008

On 11/5/08, T L <toberiferous at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Over the past 2 months I've been unable to connect to my chat accounts on Yahoo, AIM and MSN.  All three have different errors and symptoms. My GoogleChat accounts function fine in Pidgin (v2.5.2) on Windows XP.
>
> Here is a brief review of what I am seeing:
>
> Upon starting Pidgin, GoogleChat logs in no problem, but all three other accounts instantly fail to connect.  The errors specified in the bottom notification area are:
>
> <yahoo account>: user disconnected
> Lost connection with server:
> Remote host closed connection
>
> <aol account>: user disconnected
> Lost connection with server:
> Remote host closed connection
>
> <msn account>: user disconnected
> Connection error from Notification server:
> Writing error
>
> Pidgin will continue throughout the day to attempt to reconnect to these accounts, and on occasion it succeeds in connecting to my yahoo chat account.  However, as soon as I enter a message and send it, it disconnected with the same error as specified above and the message never gets sent.
>
> There have been no changes in my firewall, and I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the issue is.
>
> Can anyone help?  I would be happy to provide any additional information if it will help.
>
> Thank you.
>
> - Tobias

Typically the "Remote host closed connection" messages are symptoms of
a malfunctioning software firewall. Most software firewalls for
Windows are incapable of fully allowing a program/port/service
unhindered access.

Try upgrading your firewall, and see if the information in the wiki
[1] helps out any.

Of course, if you're not using a firewall, or are absolutely certain
it's not to blame, please get a debug log [2] of one of those accounts
connecting, and create a new ticket [3] with the debug report
attached.

[1]: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using%20Pidgin#windowsfirewall
[2]: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/TipsForBugReports#ObtainingaDebugLog
[3]: http://developer.pidgin.im/newticket