Buddies are listed twice in Pidgin

jgarcia john.f.garcia at lmco.com
Sat Sep 6 13:01:35 EDT 2008

I apologize if this issue has been posted already.  I've been unable to find
a solution so far.

We have installed Openfire 3.5.2 on RedHat 5.2.  We are using Active
Directory for authentication.  Our clients are running Pidgin 2.3.1-2.el4.

The issue we're running into is our Buddy List.  When a user adds a buddy,
the recipient is able to "Authorize" with no problem, and the user is listed
under the requesters buddy list.  The recipient is then asked if they want
to add the requester as a buddy.  The screen name is listed properly
(user at openfireservername).  When they click "Add", the original requester
can authorize, but current requester will no see the user twice on the their
buddy list.  One shows logged in and the other shows "Not Authorized".  Any
attempt to clean this up through removal will remove both entries.

Does anyone have an idea how to resolve this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John