Buddies are listed twice in Pidgin

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Sat Sep 6 14:32:32 EDT 2008

jgarcia wrote:
> We have installed Openfire 3.5.2 on RedHat 5.2.  We are using Active
> Directory for authentication.  Our clients are running Pidgin 2.3.1-2.el4.

I'm going to assume you actually mean RedHat Enterprise Linux 5.2 here.  RedHat
5.2 is different and significantly older.

> The issue we're running into is our Buddy List.  When a user adds a buddy,
> the recipient is able to "Authorize" with no problem, and the user is listed
> under the requesters buddy list.  The recipient is then asked if they want
> to add the requester as a buddy.  The screen name is listed properly
> (user at openfireservername).  When they click "Add", the original requester
> can authorize, but current requester will no see the user twice on the their
> buddy list.  One shows logged in and the other shows "Not Authorized".  Any
> attempt to clean this up through removal will remove both entries.
>
> Does anyone have an idea how to resolve this?

This is a bug that at least two different people have tried to track down and
fix on multiple occasions, but it still persists.  Perhaps someone else could
provide more detail about why this happens.

John