WinXP - Pidgin 2.5.1 crashing on startup

Martin Štefan ufan at seznam.cz
Tue Sep 16 16:56:11 EDT 2008

Hi there,

    I'm having crashes when starting up Pidgin 2.5.1 (currently, but I
saw the same issue even when I installed an older version). It displays
following message:

Gdk-error **: _gdk_visual_init: unsupported BITSPIXEL: 0

When I click ok, standard MS Visual C++ Runtime error is displayed
informing me that pidgin.exe was terminated. I'm using WinXP SP3 and
gtk+ runtime 2.12.8 rev a (the one installed together with the latest
pidgin). I tried to re-install it, uninstall and manually clean folders
and registry keys and also manually updating the gtk+ version - no
success. It seems to me that it's rather GTK+ issue than pidgin, but I
have not found any note about it on their (gtk.org) maillist archives.

Any ideas? I will appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Martin Stefan