How to install buddy icons

Phil Hannent phil at hannent.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 06:24:53 EDT 2008

Deborah K Millemaci wrote:
> I am a little confused on how to add Buddy Icons.  I read the
> directions  about clicking in the right hand bottom corner to select an
> icon...but I don't know which file ext. is for a buddy icon.  This is a
> new area for me...and I don't know which icons are for what expressions
> or if I can add them all. - Can someone "walk" me thru it?  Does Pidgin
> have smileys et. like Aim, Yahoo, & ICQ? - Deb
For the buddy icon you just need an image of some kind, file extensions of png,
jpg, gif are all good.  Ideally you want the file to be small so you might want
to either edit a photo to be small and use that or find an icon from the
Internet and use that.

Do you have an image in mind?

Pidgin does support smileys, also MSN allows you to send custom smileys and
version 2.5.2 (when it is released) will allow custom smileys over XMPP (Jabber)
and Gtalk.

Regards
Phil Hannent