Logo licensing question

Ralf Hölzemer r.hoelzemer at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 20 14:45:58 EDT 2009

2009/4/20 Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com>

> If we assume the logo is "GPLv2 or later" (as with our source code), I
> don't think it can be used in a CC BY SA 3.0 derivative work. If you
> want to pursue that, the IM Freedom corporation (which I believe is the
> copyright holder of the logo) would have to dual-license it.

Thanks for the quick reply.

So i take it that the state of the license is unclear at the moment.
Provided that the license is indeed GPL2 or later, i have no problem
releasing my work under the same license. It is just that the GPL seems a
little bit weird as a license for media files.

I contacted the STK devs on IRC and they said it would be acceptable for
them to license contributions under the GPL2. CC BY-SA 3.0 is just the
preferred license.
Meaning if you or somebody else could confirm the logo is indeed licensed
under the GPL2, i could go along and post my work for inclusion in the next
major version.

Ralf