"the message is too large"

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Aug 11 03:12:19 EDT 2009

Richard Jackson wrote:
> *Unable to send message: The message is too large.*

Which service?

It appears that, at least for some protocols, this message is the result
of limits hard coded into libpurple.  As Yahoo has been mentioned in
this context, recently, it looks like, at least in that case, the code
is representing the service provider's documented limit, moderated by
the result of tests.

pidgin-2.5.8/libpurple/protocols/yahoo/yahoo.h lines 189-207/279

/*
  * Current Maximum Length for Instant Messages
  *
  * This was found by experiment.
  *
  * The YMSG protocol allows a message of up to 948 bytes, but the
official clien
  * limits to 800 characters.  According to experiments I conducted, it
seems tha
  * the discrepancy is to allow some leeway for messages with mixed
single- and
  * multi-byte characters, as I was able to send messages of 840 and 932
bytes
  * by using some multibyte characters (some random Chinese or Japanese
character
s,
  * to be precise). - rekkanoryo
  */
#define YAHOO_MAX_MESSAGE_LENGTH_BYTES 948
#define YAHOO_MAX_MESSAGE_LENGTH_CHARS 800

--
David Woolley