Pidgin in a TrueCrypt Volume

muffet muffet at tx.rr.com
Wed Aug 12 22:07:52 EDT 2009

Since Pidgin stores IM history logs in clear text, I set up a Truecrypt
volume, hoping I could force Pidgin to write logs in there, so they were
accessible only to me, no matter what happens to my drive.  (I would keep
the volume mounted when using Pidgin.)

My question is, what is the smoothest, most secure way to go about this?

I tried installing another copy of Pidgin directly into my Truecrypt volume,
but, unsurprisingly, that doesn't work - it's still reading/writing to my
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\.purple  directory.

It also said it didn't install properly, and I'm getting some erratic
behavior.

Is there a way to keep everything in the TrueCrypt volume with the regular
Pidgin ap?  Or do I need to install Portable Pidgin (with the OTR included)
into my TC volume?

(This is a Vista OS, but I need to do the same on XP. If the answer is out
there, please forgive me. I've been reading for 3 days, and haven't found it
- at least not one I understand.  I see something about links, but I'm lost
there.)