Upgrading from GAIM

Mike Webb weeble7591 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 10:45:48 EDT 2009

> Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 17:59:17 -0700
> From: Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net>
> Subject: Re: Upgrading from GAIM
>
> Pidgin attempts to migrate all your settings from Gaim.  So you
> shouldn't need to do anything special--your settings and accounts
> should all be imported automatically.

Thanks for your quick responses. Since the settings and all were not
imported from GAIM when I started (all I get on Pidgin startup is a
prompt to set up accounts), I presume that the .pet file (Puppy Linux'
distribution file) simply dumped the program files into the
appropriate places and did not run an install routine. So I'm back to
where I started. The program is in place, but no data has been
copied/converted/moved/whatever from GAIM.

In a regular Pidgin install routine, would the files simply be copied
from .gaim to .pidgin? I note that there is presently a /root/.gaim
directory but not a /root/.pidgin directory. I'm presuming that I will
need to move the data over manually, but don't know if importing is a
simple drag-and-drop or if there is a file format conversion involved.
Where do I go from here? If someone's able and willing to walk me thru
the process off-list, I'd appreciate it. I have AIM, Y!M and MSN
accounts so we could talk thru any of them. Thanks again!