[META] Please provide the ability to tag subjects with the list name (was: [Pidgin] for list owner)

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Aug 18 03:03:28 EDT 2009

Ka-Hing Cheung wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:24:26AM -0400, Steve VanSlyck wrote:
>> Who is the "we" that doesn't want it to? I assume you mean the list owner?
>>
>> Why the objection?
>
> http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/qralston/writing/tagging-harmful/

On a quick skim, this has many good points, but many of them don't seem
to match the reality of this list.

E.g. that tagging disrupts scanning of subjects to select within the
list.  From what I've seen typical subjects on this list are newbie
subjects like "help", "enquiry", or even a blank line.  Even the subject
on this thread is bad, it is really an address, and should really have
been sent to the list owner address, not to the list.

Also, the suggestion that users should know how to use their email
program, but most of the questions on this list are from people who have
very limited ability to use a computer (can't tell the difference
between the service and the client, etc., etc.) and many come from
office email systems, where Microsoft Outlook is typically the only
choice.  Microsoft reportedly took the view that they wouldn't implement
non-standards track RFCs, so theyh don't support the mailing list
specific headers, except possibly through generic filter mechanisms.

--
David Woolley