Sort Buddies By Log Size

Jim Spath jspath at pangeamedia.com
Wed Aug 19 14:40:45 EDT 2009

Jim Spath wrote:
> Richard Laager wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-08-19 at 13:55 -0400, Jim Spath wrote:
>>> What happened to Buddies > Sort Buddies > By log size?
>>>
>>> By recent log activity is a poor replacement.
>>
>> Why? (This is a genuine request for your thoughts.)
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> I like "by log size" because the contacts I message most often are at
> the top.
>
> "By recent log activity" makes the assumption that because I recently
> messaged someone, I'm more likely to want to message that person again
> soon.  This is an interesting idea, but not always true ...
>
> Why not offer both options?  While I can see value in the new option, I
> personally like the idea of a more "static" list of users I am likely to
>   message.
>
> Also, all arguments of which is option is better/more useful aside, I
> don't think it's working properly.  Contacts which I have recently
> messaged are listed below contacts I know I haven't messaged recently.
>
> - Jim

I did a search of trac and noticed that this functionality doesn't work
the way I first assumed it to:

http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/5447

Now I'm not sure which I want ...  I'm so used to sorting by total log
size that I don't like giving it up ... but this new method does seem
better.

I guess I'll try it out.

Thanks!
Jim