Pidgin disconnect

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon Aug 24 02:56:03 EDT 2009

Paula Williams wrote:
> Hi, thank you for your response. I'm not sure by what you mean that it
> needs the other configuration. Quicktate has  stopped using Yahoo and

Which operating s system and which version?  (Probably not a major
factor, but affects the details of how to diagnose the problem.  In this
case I would guess Windows Vista Home, hopefully with current service
packs.)

Which version of Pidgin? (Versions before 2.5.8 will soon, if not
already, stop working with Yahoo, because of changes made by Yahoo.)

How you are connected to the internet, with particular reference to
firewalls and address translation?  (As someone else, said, this is
themost likely problem area.)

Also, although not strictly configuration, what does the Pidgin debug
log say about the problem.

> has started using Pidgin calling it TypistLink.

You are confusing the client program and the service.  Pidgin is only a
client program, but it supports many services.  It is important to know
which of those services you are using.  According to the latest typists'
guidelines, Quicktate still seem to be using Yahoo as the service.

> I have to get this up and running or I no longer have a job. So, I guess
> I'm stuck if it still needs the Yahoo information At this point I'm not
> sure what to do.

I tend to feel that if Quicktate have dictated the use of a particular
program, they ought to be providing first line support for it.  They are
more likely to know the specifics of how they expect it to be used.  In
particular, they should know why they are not using the official client.
  (The main reasons for most people using Pidgin are likely to that they
want to use an operating system other than Windows, or that they want to
use several services at the same time.)

--
David Woolley