[META] Public mailing list nature of support at pidgin

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Aug 24 18:18:25 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Ethan Blanton<elb at pidgin.im> wrote:
> David Woolley spake unto us the following wisdom:
>> Although I'm not sure the French message was actually about Pidgin, the
>> message also needs to make it clear the list is in English, or, better,
>> should be localised to reference a list in the appropriate language.
>
> I don't entirely agree.  While posters must use English to get support
> from *most* of the primary developers, they are welcome to ask in
> whatever language they need.  That said, making it clear that English
> is the primary list language may save some frustration.

+1

If we ever get to the point where we have lots of people asking
questions in non-English it might make sense to create separate
mailing lists for them.  But for now it's pretty easy to ignore the
occasional non-English question.

-Mark

P.S. If you're using GMail there is a Message Translation feature in
Google Labs which adds a handy button to translate messages inline.
It rocks.