so slow...

Programmer In Training pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Wed Dec 30 00:41:45 EST 2009

On 12/29/2009 10:22 PM, Bill MacAllister wrote:

> --On Tuesday, December 29, 2009 02:51:05 PM -0600 Programmer In Training
> <pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us> wrote:
>
>> On 12/29/2009 11:13 AM, Brian Morrison wrote:

>>> Why do you think that 15-20 seconds is a long time? Seems like very
>>> little time to me for a complex application to load and initialise.
>>>

>> Well, Pidgin loads even quicker then that for me and I have several
>> plugins installed. Pidgin isn't that complex, though. OOo takes 15-30
>> seconds to load for me and that's way more complex then Pidgin will ever
>> dream of being (I hope).
>
> What evidence do you have that it is Pidgin that is slow and not
> something in the network?  OpenOffice is really not a good application
> to compare Pidgin with.  With network applications there are lots of
> steps in making a network connection that can cause the application to
> stall and wait.  How many network connections are you making?  How
> solid is your DNS?  Is your ISP clueless about routing?  Etc.

Good points, but I connect to about 10 accounts, via an anonymous proxy
relay service (SOCKS5) for all but one and it still loads up quicker
then for the OP (and I load it up via a batch file that enables a
debugging log). Connecting, though, is a different story though and I
don't count that as part of load up time. I consider load up time from
the time I click on the quick launch icon to the time I see my buddy
list window.

> In the end though, if it is only slow on start up, then why do you
> care?  For me pidgin starts up automatically as part of my login
> process, connects to 5 IM servers and is up for 10-12 hours.  Spending
> an extra 10 seconds at start up is really not worth worrying about.
>
> Bill

Another salient point.