Any way to get email notification while I am logged in to Pidgin?

CSJamesson cjamesson at goldencenter.org
Fri Feb 6 00:02:47 EST 2009

Hello.

After searching through the Pidgin help and FAQ and Ubuntu Forums, I
finally just have to ask somebody here about my issue.

I receive a message when new mail arrives in my Gmail (Google Apps
actually) mail box, but only on startup of Pidgin. I do not receive
notifications if it is already on. How can I change this? Basically, I
wanted something like Get Gmail, but that does not work for Google
Apps. If Pidgin can only tell me I received emails when I log in, that
sort of defeats the purpose of ticking the "New email notification"
box.

Thanks in advance for your help. I hope there is something I can do to
make this work the way I want.

Carl Jamesson