creating a plug-in for pidgin

Robert Bailey gregole at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 10:32:49 EST 2009

Hi, I could use some help.

I am using pidgin for my research; my goal is to create a client-side plug-in for pidgin related to language identification and automatic translation of international text.  I would really like some advice on where to start as far as creating a plug-in for pidgin.  My application will be in PERL and python.  Ive never actually written a plug-in for an open source project before; the plug-in either needs to interface with my application or my application itself needs to be able to interface with pidgin.  Any advice would be useful.  Thanks!