buddy list groups - question

jimspoon jsw8591 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 23:57:12 EST 2009

I've used a number of IM clients.  I think I made buddy list groups in
another IM client.  But when I run Pidgin and add my various IM accounts
(YM, Gtalk, AIM, ICQ), the buddy groups that I've made in other clients show
up in my Pidgin buddy list.  How is Pidgin aware of the groups I've set up
in other IM clients?  Do the IM services store a group name with every
client, so that when Pidgin retrieves their buddy lists, it gets a group
name for each client?

Just curious.