window location

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Wed Jul 1 22:54:46 EDT 2009

Rob Stampfli spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 11:18:51AM -0500, Mark Gehres wrote:
> > I am running pidgin 2.5.8 on a Gnome desktop.  I use multiple desktops and use
> > 1 desktop just for pidgin.  I want the IM window to stay where I put it, but
> > when a new message comes in, the window moves to a new position.  Does anyone
> > know what I can do to anchor the window to stop it from changing position?
>
> I second that request.  For the past several releases, it seems,
> either Pidgin or Gnome creates the IM window wherever it wants,
> which in my case is often under another window.  Its location
> seems to be dependent on who initiates the IM -- some buddies
> almost always wind up getting buried, while others don't.
>
> It sure would be nice to have it reappear where it was last left,
> if that is possible.

I would have to check the source code, but I believe in most instances
we call gtk_window_present(), and the behavior you see is whatever
Gtk+ and your window manager implement when this happens.

For my part, Pidgin stays where I put it, if I choose to put it on a
particular page or desktop.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.