can't add more buddies

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Jul 26 05:29:52 EDT 2009

Kelsey Padrick wrote:

> and the operating system would be Windows right?

That's worrying.  It's too easy for Microsoft to establish a monopoly if
consumers don't know what they are using.  Markets require informed
consumers.

If you don't know what you are using, it is almost certainly some
version of MS Windows.  As it is presumably post Windows 95, launch My
Computer, then select the About item in the Help menu.  (More detailed
information can be obtained by using the Run... item, on the start menu,
and entering "winmsd" (there are also GUI ways of reaching this). (I'm
not sure if winmsd is still present on Windows Vista.)

The date (month and year) of purchase, and country, for the computer,
might also give a clue as to the version, although we'd also need to
know whether or not the machine is a netbook.

One of the problems that a third party, and, at least in the case of
MSN, unapproved, client has is that the service provider can change the
service, to make it incompatible, without warning, however it is
interesting that all the problem reports come from people with rather
limited computer knowledge.

--
David Woolley